The gift of experiences, are, in my opinion- the best kinds. They’re my favorite gifts to give. They’re easy to wrap because no wrapping paper is needed and there’s no gift like it. See, when you give the gift of an experience, no memory can replace it and it’s not generically manufactured somewhere which somehow made it onto the store shelf that caught your attention. Everything about the gift of an experience is unique, from the sounds you hear, the smell in the air, the objects you encounter, the people you’re surrounded by and perhaps in a split second, you’ll captured a memory that will forever live.
The reason why I own a limited number of possessions is due to the fact that I would rather spend my money on experiences and good food. I’d rather keep my home clear of clutter and walk down to my downtown area and go out to dinner. I’d rather sit on the beach with friends after a day of surfing and then enjoying a hearty meal with great company. I’d rather go to the movies or go to a sporting event with family and friends. I’ve chosen to live my life by filling it with more experiences and with less stuff in the past 6 years. Although my “living with less” lifestyle became more refined with each passing year, this year, it has finally dwindled down to its most polished version.
I’ve used numerous websites to give gifts and to test out the gift of experiences method and they all seem to work quite smoothly. So far I’ve used Groupon , Living Social as well as Ticketmaster. These are just the ones I’ve used and I’m sure there are many out on the internet that I’m not familiar with.
I really think the secret to this life is creating memories with one another. I don’t think humans were meant to be isolated or alone. We were always meant to talk and be stimulated my our experiences. We all laugh, love, care, express empathy and even cry. I encourage everyone to invest in giving the gift of experiences, you never know the value of the memories you’re going to create.
You can gift tickets to:
- Sporting events ( football, soccer, tennis, gymnastics, baseball, etc.)
- Theme parks (Great America, Raging Waters, Six Flags, Disneyland, etc.)
- Outdoor experiences (pedle boating, wind sailing, kayaking, rowboats, canoes, skydiving, zip lining, rock climbing, trampoline time, golfing)
- Gift card/money for food / drinks (breakfast, lunch, dinners, coffee / tea, desserts, wine bar, wine/beer tour)
- Gift card/money for activities (cooking classes, yoga, spin class, kickboxing, zip lining)
- Gift card/money for events (museums, concerts, festivals, fairs, movies)
- Gift card/money to treat yourself (spa, massage, facial)
Here are some other Zero Waste Gift Options from other Zero Waste bloggers:
- The Ultimate List of Christmas Gifts You Can Make Yourself
- Give FABULOUS Handmade Gifts and Support Small Businesses
- 50 Edible Holiday Gifts-Sustainable Giving
- Zero Waste Gift Ideas
- Waste-Free Holiday Gifts for Co-Workers
- Week 32 -7 Green Christmas Present Ideas
- Great Green Gifts