Having an Eco-friendly holiday isn’t as daunting as it sounds. It might sound complicated because the concept is different, but it’s actually pretty simple. So for each holiday there are basic aspects of the holiday celebration I like to check off: decorations, food and entertainment. I don’t always cover all three categories equally and majority of my focus will usually be on the food.
Decorations tend to be covered easily being that Christmas is such a huge holiday celebrated. Honestly, any type of decoration that is compostable or reusable is a good idea. Here are some ideas for zero waste holiday.
- Decoration Ideas:
- Seasonal leaves, fruit, create a centerpiece suing branches and colorful seasonal leaves.
- Use existing jars filled with some seasonal and colorful leaves to decorate the table
- Use branches and leaves from outside to decorate the table surface
- Zero Waste Food
- Consider using fresh fruits and vegetables as ingredients in your dishes. You can compost the skin or the non edible pieces after
- Buy your ingredients from the bulk aisle or bulk bins
- For ingredients that usually come in packaging, consider making your own homemade version or looking for it in paper, aluminum or glass packaging
- Share recipes or give the gift of different types of dishes to one another
Gift ideas can be tricky for this holiday since it’s based around an iconic tree as well as what surrounds it on Christmas Day. However, here are a few ideas for zero waste gifts, you might want to consider. Check social media sites (Groupon, Living Social, Ticketmaster, etc.) for great deals for events and activities for family and friends during the holidays.
- Gift Ideas:
- Compostable Gifts
- Food, snacks, bulk candy wrapped in reusable packaging or compostable packaging
- Buy bulk foods and create a recipe kit for a gift
- Seasonal fruit, fruit basket gift
- Gift of Goods and Products
- Consider checking out thrift stores to find a gift for the recipient
- If you want to give a new gift, look for gifts with no packaging or recyclable paper packaging
- Gift of Experiences
- Sporting events ( football, soccer, tennis, gymnastics, baseball, etc.)
- Theme parks (check for local theme parks near you or near the recipient)
- Outdoor experiences (pedle boating, wind sailing, kayaking, rowboats, canoes, skydiving, zip lining, rock climbing, trampoline time, golfing, etc.)
- Gift card or money for food & drinks (breakfast, lunch, dinners, coffee, tea, desserts, wine bar, wine/beer tour)
- Gift card or money for activities (cooking classes, yoga, spin class, kickboxing, zip lining, etc.)
- Gift card/money for events (museums, concerts, festivals, fairs, movies)
- Gift card or money to treat yourself (spa, massage, facial)
- Service Ideas (This will differ based on location, so check your local listings)
- Volunteer for a charity or organization that will help hand out food during the holidays
- Donate toys, clothes, coats, shoes to an organization that will help distribute them this season
- Volunteer your time in a hospital, care home, nursing home to those who may not have family near or at all
- Compostable Gifts
- Gift Wrapping:
- Reusable cloth gift bags with string to tie bows (if wanted)
- Fabric sheets or bandanas to wrap and tie around gifts
- For the larger gifts, I’ll use a pillowcase or really large bed sheets to wrap the gifts
- For medium sized gifts, I’ll wrap the gift in an extra t-shirt.
Entertainment during the holidays can be daunting as well. Usually families have kids around or simply need entertainment playing while the day is happening.
- Movies- if you are able to stream movies, there are a few great resources to stream holiday movies during this time. Check YouTube or other streaming media, they usually have full movies uploaded to watch.
- Board Games – Ask your guest if they have any board games to play or would want to bring for the kids to share and play with
- Card Games – these games are always fun because a deck of cards can be really versatile
I hope this outline helped to brainstorm ideas for you. This is an overall idea list and if you want to check out other holiday blog posts, check out these holiday blog posts from these websites: